On your marks, ready, set, G...O

By 12:42 PM , ,

If you got a problem...well you're looking like a target..."

***

So... I've spent my morning feeling rather inspired. I sauntered over to Sher's blog (yumekari.blogspot.com) and she's been doing lots of creative things recently. 

She started an ICAD project, whereby she does a drawing daily on an index card. Also, she did a project whereby she used colouring, tissue and pipe cleaner. Sounds intriguing? It is! So go peek!

***

What's been picking my fancy? So I've been running around taking lots of photo references. My folly? I've been taking artistic photo shots... however, it's hard to translate these shots into a painting. At least in my mind...

The other thing that's been intriguing to me? Well we all know I've had a fascination with black paper, hence my night series. But now, after visiting Aunty Dollie's house and attaining a collection of peacock feathers... I'm curious about feathers. Also, after scouring youtube, I found this interesting melted crayon technique.

Progress mark on the project so far...

I had some loose canvas sheets around. I had done a previous sketch that I changed my mind on, so I decided to freestyle an abstract piece and split the sheet. I have yet to mount the pieces... and you know how it goes. I'm still deliberating on if it's really done now.

I particularly love the down feather on the right as it feels soft and furry to the touch.


And then... my crayon experiment. I went to a yard sale early May and I have this bad habit of not being able to see art supplies and not want it. In recent years, I have reconciled my relationship with pencil crayons and discovered its actually a very good medium. So I figured, why not reconcile my relationship with crayons. I haven't dabbled with them experimentally since I was a kid.

This was a frustrating experiment. Firstly, I have nothing hot enough other than an iron to melt crayon without setting the paper afire. In the end, I shaved the crayon and melted the shaved bits. I did the drawing first. Everything was done mostly in paints - the outlines, heliconia, hummingbird, lady in yoga position and the yellow back ground. The rest of the background was done in crayons. I bled paint and glitter polish on the top edges and then added the peacock feather as a final touch. It still feels kinda rough to me... I might come back to this piece in the future...

***

C'est tout...
Ciao

You Might Also Like

0 comments