I temporarily forgot there were better days to come...

By 6:51 PM , , , ,

I got back my results for my exams. Yay...or Boo...

I got an A on the Bio quiz on Monday. I'm not sure how I did on Wednesday, I have a sneaky suspicion I messed up the "write numbers in order" question. I should've written it out full. Oh well, I know better for next time.

Now... for those who said I should be optimistic about exams...

And.... Poli Sci.... Umm... to make myself feel good I shall split the results into two - 30 Multiple Choice questions at 2.5 points each (75%) and an essay worth 25 points (25%). On the essay, I made a couple errors on one of my points but I still did ok, I got 22/25. But, I got full marks on the last essay so I know I could've done better. And then.... -.- ... Along came multiple choice. I took my time, there were only about 6 that I was unsure about. I left the exam optimistic and nervous but by the end of Tuesday my confidence grew... And..... I got 11 wrong. -.- ... 11 * 2.5 = 27.5.. Fortunately the professor gave us a 6 point curve which brought me up from the 60s to a 76. Last time I got 15 M.C. wrong and full marks for my essay.

She made the point that if we're doing poorly we're probably not studying or probably misreading. I think, in my case, I'm just horrible at multiple choice... I mean after doing poorly at M.C. for 5 years that's the only theory I could come up with. After she went through the answers, it seemed obvious... and I felt silly because I knew the right answer for like 8 or 9 of them. I just missed the wording. The other 3 or so, were just facts that I glossed over that I thought I knew but couldn't recall perfect in the exam. Still an excuse is an excuse... and it doesn't change anything... It's just one class. Once I'm done with it I won't have to do it again... Hopefully between my late attendance and C grade average thus far, I don't do too horribly... But I'm learning about optimism and politics - they don't go hand in hand.

I'll study harder... Next exam, the last exam, I will do better. Yes, I will.


***

Now time for my best trick yet. (lol) My-oh -so - interesting- post.

We are doing the lungs now in Biology. Fun stuff. I'm really loving that class.

Firstly, my unrelated note, having an allergy is like having a cold - mucus build up leading to increase in sinus pressure leading to sinus headaches, watery eyes, etc etc. Everything that occurs with a cold because of irritations. So, for all of us who go "no I don't have the cold, it's just allergies", we're right. So tell those cynics, no you don't have the cold it's really just allergies.

So air gets into your body through your nose, or mouth (whichever you're inhaling with at the time). **Breathing through the mouth can result in a sore throat because you are drying out the cells along in an effort to moisturize the air. The air has to to saturated with water. So folks, you really shouldn't breathe through your mouth, lest necessary.** It passes down your trachea, to your bronchi, then to your bronchioles. The bronchioles are surrounded by muscle.

This muscle is needed as a defense mechanism, which automatically contracts (which would prevent toxic gases from being absorbed into the body by contracting around and closing off the bronchioles before gas gets to the aveoli..I think...I need to check it).

Now for the fun stuff. For people with asthma, this muscle contracts the bronchiole, so air carbon dioxide(CO2) gets trapped in the lungs. This results in a build up of carbon dioxide in your blood, and your brain sends a message to your heart saying to pump more blood to get rid of the high level of carbon dioxide in the blood... which is all fine and dandy except for one problem, the CO2 isn't leaving the body, and oxygen isn't entering the body since everything is closed off. This process keeps on going, getting worse and worse. When the carbon dioxide and water mix it creates carbonic acid and your body goes into respiratory acidosis. Your heart keeps speeding up, the levels of carbon dioxide keep increasing, leading to an eventual heart attack.

The asthma inhaler dilates the air passages, so you could breathe again.

On a good note, the professor told us that should someone we know have breathing difficulties generally or go into an attack and we're there - give them caffeine aka caffeinated tea, coffee, etc (not decaf, must be caffeine) because the caffeine dilates the muscles in the lungs, and soon enough the person shall continue breathing normally.

That's enough for tonight. My next post shall be about "People who smoke have a death wish."

***

Shellll-ayyyy out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments