You can't hold on to a memory that has already let go of you.

By 10:08 PM ,

As usual, I had a lovely post all planned out in my head and I had a series of interruptions that prevented me from staying at the PC long enough to type it up... now I have to feel my way through and hope and pray that at least a fragment comes back to me.

***

I re-entered my "I adore Alanis" mode.

I remember in Literature class back in college, in the midst of all that research for papers, I stumbled across a bit of info that said Shakespeare had a great understanding of human emotions. This I won't contest, there's one too many schools of thought written on the subject. However,I would never say I was a fan of Shakespeare, but at the same point in time, I could appreciate his work. The time frame through which his plays ranged mirrored the Elizabethan society in such a manner that the metaphors could not be missed and an understanding could not have any more revealing depth.

This understanding was probably influenced by what I was simultaneously learning history class, but yea... that's another story...and I'm rambling... and this has naught to do with Alanis.

So for the generations that Shakespeare's writing catered for reflected this understanding of human emotions...

Alanis Morisette may be no playwright, nor a singer of the grandeur kind... but as a lyricist or a poet, her writing is so candid that it is so easy for anyone to relate - prejudiced against the pop/rock genre or not. She does not necessarily write about a range of daily emotions, but rather accurately writes about the intricate dynamic emotions experienced throughout relationships. The intricacies of the beginning, the wasted chances, past regrets, maybe's/what if's, future possibilities and the culmination. Then aside from how she writes the songs, her performance always adds a new dimension to each piece.

(Below I have a few excerpts from two of her songs)

And I am frightened by the corrupted ways of this land
If only I could meet the Maker
And I am fascinated by the spiritual man
I am humbled by his humble nature yeah
What I wouldn't give to find a soul mate
Someone else to catch this drift
And what I wouldn't give to meet a kindred
-"All I really want"

Dear Jonathan
I liked you too much
I used to be attracted to boys who would lie to me and think solely
about themselves
and you were plenty self-destructive for my taste at the time
I used to say the more tragic the better the truth is whenever I think
of the early 90's
you face comes up with a vengeance like it was yesterday

Dear Terrance

I love you muchly
you've been nothing but open hearted and emotionally available and
supportive
and
nurturing and consummately there for me I kept drawing you in and
pushing you
away
I remember how beautiful it was to fall asleep on your couch and cry
in front
of you for the first time
you were the best platform from which to jump beyond myself
what was
wrong with me

Dear Marcus

You rocked my world
you had a charismatic way about you with the women and
you got me seriously thinking about spirituality and you wouldn't let
me get
away with kicking me own ass
but I would never really feel relaxed and looked out for around you
though
and that stopped us from going any further than we did
and it's kinda too bad because we could've had much more fun
-"Unsent"

Ok so these might not be the best representation of her lyrical masterpieces... muahahaha! But these are all that I could think up and copy in my current state of mind and slightly drugged (Advil cold & sinus) state.

***

In regards to my blog title, I just realized today that sometimes we tend to hold on to things long after the thing has passed. We sit and deliberate on a moment as if it has been frozen in time... when in reality not only has the moment long been carried away by the gentle winds of time but the people that existed in that moment have long moved on. It's almost as opening your eyes for the first time after crying in your sleep, to realize you are sitting flat on your bottom, clinging onto a teddy bear, watching the world spin before your eyes. The world isn't waiting for your deliberations... so just get over it.

Shelli is sick and tired.
Literally.
Shelli out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments