Another sun soaked season fades away...

By 12:39 AM ,

*Big stretch*

So its been a while since I've been here. My oh my, DPWI, you were dearly missed.

My absence was due to a series of current life events that had to be dealt with. I believe its safe to say that while I regret not posting during that time, the time was well spent idly and helped bring me back inadvertently onto the path once more of the destination I would most like to be. How is that for irony...? In retrospect, I guess the nothingness is what I needed. I needed to create a void and step into it, so as to "find" myself in some sort of bizarre self-inflicted situation-cum-bravery. The value of light is only truly appreciated when you find yourself in the absence thereof.

I hope that makes sense... But that's how best to explain these past couple months. That and a roller coaster of experiences.

OH, and there were several failed attempts to make posts but I had lost my voice here. Thank God it was only a temporary hindrance.

***

SOOOO....

I went to Alaska on a cruise somewhere around the 21st of last month.

It was a delightful experience. I had the pleasure of watching large chunks of ice and icebergs float on by (relatively close the the boat) in a narrow channel in the middle of summer. I was also able to stand at the front of the ship on the top deck and be so incredibly cold that the 3 layers of jackets only just start to make me feel warm but the wind quickly undid such small comforts when it came to my exposed cheeks and fingers. I constantly had to plunge my hands into my pockets in between photo shots because they were becoming so cold that the tips were numb of feeling. My cheeks had to learn to deal with the cold, the wind had several fights with my hoodie and it's needless to say who lost the battle. I was also privileged to read a novel until I fell asleep on the lower decks on lounge chairs huddled under a blanket.

AND I LOVED every minute of it. I loved walking up and down through out the ship, just randomly exploring. I loved talking to all the different people there. I was shocked to discover how many teachers from other places were there. I loved the FOOD. I ate, and ate, and ate..!!! until it became absurd, especially for someone of my petite size. I loved all the stops. It was enchanting to be in a place so green and soooo clean and able to maintain a frozen-in-time appearance. Skagway, the mining town, looks the same way it did back when it came into existence. There are wooden sidewalks. The buildings have remained the same... There's only ONE street in the town. Then throughout all the stops there were the floating log houses.

*sigh* Alaska... I'm totally doing that again one more time before I die...

Below are some photos from my trip... I shall post all eventually...

Starting with the first stop: Ketchikan, Alaska
"Salmon Capital of the World"
Also, has the world's largest collection of standing totem poles.



Look at the houses... how quaint... Off in the distance...
the mountain tops covered with ice...


A real husky... I don't care how friendly this one is..
this is the best/closest shot i have on it.



Totem Poles at the Salmon Falls Resort.



***

That's all the pics I'm posting for tonight. I'm too tired to post anymore... Tomorrow I shall post some nature pics I took on the tour at Salmon Falls. I recommend going to Salmon Falls... they make awesome cookies...!!! And the coffee is delicious.....!! The tour is wonderful as well... The tour guides, ours was Tom I believe, are friendly and entertaining - even if you see no wildlife, it shall be totally worth the time as you get the chance to see the untouched terrain up close and the sporadic placement of random houses by wealthy folks and small settlements...

*wistful sigh* I miss Alaska...

***
And from the ball room floor
We are in celebration
One good stretch before our hibernation
Our dreams assured and we all
Will sleep well...
Sleep Well...
We...
All...
Look...
Like...
We...
...Feel...
-'Stolen' Dashboard Confessional
***

Sleep well....

Ciao for now.
Shelli out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments